Whether marrying in Mexico or perhaps in the U.S., make fully sure your wedding is legitimate and discover just just how it could qualify your partner for U.S. residence that is permanent.

If you’re marrying some body from Mexico, and intend to sponsor your brand-new spouse for the U.S. green card (lawful permanent residence), the following is some crucial appropriate and practical information.

(Warning: this really is an overview that is general of the method works well with a lot of people. Your position may provide problems or be eligible for exceptions; see a lawyer for the full analysis.)

Immigration Eligibility Predicated On Engagement or Wedding

First, a background that is little U.S. immigration legislation. Marriage up to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident provides foreign-born people a primary way to U.S. immigration. As opposed to rumor that is popular nonetheless, these people usually do not instantly or automatically accept green cards or U.S. citizenship.

Through the application process if you are a U.S. citizen, your new spouse becomes your “immediate relative,” and may receive a green card as soon as the two of you make it. This will just take 6 months to a year, if not much longer.

Then your new spouse can apply for a green card, if desired if you are not yet married and your fiance(e) is still ukrainian brides in Mexico, you can, if you are a U.S. citizen, petition for him or her to enter the U.S. as a fiance(e) in order to get married in the U.S.—and. (Or, it is possible to decide to get hitched first an additional nation, then make an application for an immigrant visa with which to enter the U.S.—the exact carbon copy of a green card.)

If you’re a legal resident that is permanent your partner becomes a “preference general,” in category F2A, and may get yourself a visa (and go into the U.S.) just after the visa is becoming available.